Hidey ho, cyber-neighbors! It’s Frugal Accomplishments day again. Woohoo! When you’re done here, do drop by and visit The Prudent Homemaker and the many folks who make the time to share inspiration in the comments of her posts.
It’s been a fairly low key week for us, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing! Here’s how things panned out on the frugal living side of things:
- Used the last of my birthday gift card from my father-in-law to order another book.
- Borrowed books and DVDs from the libraries.
- Returned other borrowed items as we read/watched them so we don’t accrue late fees.
- Moved the shade structure that my husband built for the patio to shade the living room window, with the help of a friend. (THANK YOU, C!!!) We channeled our military wife superpowers – that thing is HEAVY! As the sun comes around in the late morning, I pull the bamboo blinds and that helps with the cooling of our main living space as well.
- Manually turned thermostat up (from 78 to 80F) when no one was looking; as long as no one complained, I kept it up to turn the air conditioner off. If they complained, or even I couldn’t bear it any more, I let the AC unit go ahead and kick on.
- Used blinds/curtains/ceiling fans to cool the house. At this point, there’s no way to keep the AC from turning on (I can’t push it past 80F or the dog starts to look a bit peaked!), but considering I’m able to keep it at or below 80F until late afternoon, I can’t complain.
- Borrowed e-books and audiobooks on Overdrive; borrowed e-books on Kindle Unlimited.
- Watered herbs with “dirty” water from the dog’s bowl when giving her refills.
- Still working our way through that last box of Whitman’s candy!
- Son and I wanted a lunch out – we went to our favorite Mexican restaurant and got an order of nachos, which we were able to split for both lunch and dinner during our Harry Potter movie marathon.
- Entered Swagbucks and InboxDollars codes whenever I saw them, and answered daily Swagbucks surveys.
- Used cloth handkerchiefs and personal cloths.
- Used homemade cooling spritz to help cool off throughout the day.
- Son used free Duolingo app to do Spanish and German lessons for homeschool.
- Went to the library to use internet for research – trying to figure out how feasible it is to cut our home internet (and thus the bill from our provider) next month. My downfall is that there’s a cafe there – that could add up to more than the internet bill if I don’t watch it! (It is much faster internet though. LOL)
- Received an email from Walmart that the Savings Catcher app got me a refund of $1.68 from the grocery receipt I submitted. I’ll take it!