It’s that time of year again – folks are trying to get their holiday shopping done and hopefully stay on budget. For those who want to get their family more prepared, this is the perfect time to pick up a few little things that can add up to a lot if an emergency strikes. In some cases, you may just be filling in some gaps in your own home; in others, you can help someone who isn’t currently thinking about preparedness get started. Here are just a few ideas to get you thinking, whether you’re filling a Christmas stocking or setting out items for each night of Hanukkah.
- Headlamp (and batteries) – Handy (ha!) for hands-free light when changing a tire or finding your way through the house in a power outage
- Tactical pen/pen light – Great force multiplier in situations where one can’t carry other weapons, as well as for the usual uses of a pen or small flashlight
- Pocket-sized tin of their favorite tea – I’ve made good use of the Harney & Sons’ chamomile “Tagalong” tin in my purse; you can even fit a little packet of sugar or creamer in with the sachets.
- Hand and foot warmers – As the family member with perpetually cold hands, I find these in my stocking every year (and my kids giggle waiting for me to get to them)
- Mini First Aid kit – There are even TSA-compliant travel kits that include a CPR mask and earplugs. A certain someone in my family may or may not be receiving one of these for their travels. 😉
- Playing cards – Keep an eye out for those with plant ID, survival tips, knot tying, or other useful info to double the usefulness of the cards.
- Box of ammo – Have a hunter or target shooter in the family? Find out their favorite gauge or caliber and throw a box of shells or rounds in their stocking.
- Jerky, granola, or other nonperishable treats – Full disclosure: these may not actually make it to the emergency kit – but hey, you tried, right?
Stay tuned for more ideas – including themed gifts that are great ANY time of year, for everything from baby showers and birthdays to pet adoptions and housewarmings!